Monday, October 6, 2008

I did it!

I had victory over my environmental Achilles heel...



reusable shopping bags.

Ok, you can stop laughing.

Three weeks ago, while shopping at Wal-Mart, I decided to purchase a reusable shopping bag. I patted myself on the back as I unloaded my few groceries from the landfill-saving bag. I neatly folded the bag and placed it in a spot by the door, so I would remember to take it with me on my next trip to the store.

A week later, as I was placing my groceries on the counter for the cashier to ring up, it dawned on me that my wonderful "green" bag was resting serenely near my front door. I bought another one and resolved to work harder to use these bags.

Once I unloaded the groceries, I put the bag in my van on the dash. Now, there would be no way that I would forget to use my alternative to "Paper or Plastic"

Three days later , it was time to go to the store again and as I drove from my job, I glanced over and saw my bag and smiled. When I pushed my cart to the check out line, my reusable bag was laughing at me from the dash of my van. Once again, I paid to "Save the Planet" this time with a pink bag, a breast cancer research fund one in honor of my mother and her 2 years of cancer free living.

Today, I summoned all my resolve and determined that those memory blocking pieces of cloth would not get the best of me. I collected all of them and laid them on the passanger seat in the van. A quick job and I was on my way to get some groceries. As I drove, I thought through the wording of this post. I was pushing my cart down the main aisle, when I passed a rack of reusable bags and realized that my growing family of environmentally friendly grocery bags were still in the van...ARRRGGGHHH.

But, I went out and got them and as the picture shows, I won. I used them.

I said you can stop laughing.

1 comment:

Terri said...

that is so me....