Sunday, January 18, 2009

Going green in the classroom

On Tuessday I start my student teaching. One of the many things that I have been thinking about is the challenge of going green in the classroom.

My students do not have a lot and do not have access to much. This also applies to the knowledge that they bring to the classroom. Part of my job as a teacher will be to provide what those students lack.

So at the same time that I am learning about all of these strategies to increase the students' literacy I have this question in the back of my mind: how can I possibly do this and not run out of copies after the first week?

In a sense, the budget crunch does help cut down on teachers' tendency to waste copies. In my own shoes I know that I would think hard and long before I made any copies to make sure that I used those copies wisely. I know how much damage wasted paper can do. Unfortunately the students I will be teaching are no where near as frugal as I am. :D

I'm sure that there are other green dilemmas for the classroom and that I will discover them in the coming weeks.

You can be sure that as soon as I discover them you will know.

No comments: