Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"This is how it works" Update


I thought I'd encourage everyone who still thinks "I'm just one person, what difference can I make?"

After listening to me talk about this blog and responsible living, one of my employees borrowed a large empty cardboard box and a few trash bags from me in order to collect plastic bottles that were cluttering up his apartment. Now he has his roommates joining him in tossing the plastic in the recycling "bin." He's added cans to the bin as well.

At one of the town home communities that I manage, we have no curbside recycling option, so almost no one recycles. I was talking to one of the families about this blog and recycling and they expressed that they wished there was a place nearby where they could recycle. I told them that if they dropped off their recycling with me, I'd add it to the office materials I recycle. They came back a day later with a small plastic grocery bag with about 8 bottles. Now, it's a couple times a week and closer to 20-30 bottles.

I have folks pointing out products made from recycled materials, articles about responsible living, energy efficiency, etc. Even though they are telling me about them because they know I will be interested, they are still reading the articles, noticing the recycled items and this is a beginning in changing our overall mindset. I even had someone tell me that they were not going to buy a hybrid when they bought their new car, because they were still a bit overpriced. The upside: They're going to buy a car that gets 35 mpg, a step in the right direction.

I'm just one person, but that's a start! Why don't you join me?

No comments: